I went to Vegas this last weekend; drove down there with a couple friends of mine.
Here are a few notes:
- First morning at 4 am we had $4 steaks at a diner a few blocks away from our downtown hotel, The Plaza.
- This was my first Vegas trip without drinking, and to my minor surprise, it didn't hurt my enjoyment.
- Also, apparently, not drinking in Las Vegas mitigates any Fear and/or Loathing that one might normally encounter there.
- I played 5-10 hands of blackjack, a few spins of the roulette wheel, one Texas Hold 'Em poker tournament, and a few other assorted games. Ended the weekend up $15.
- My friend got an 80 ounce daiquiri in a plastic guitar that he wore all night (it came with a strap) and drank from all night (post-daiquiri he poured beers in it.)
- Drinking 2-3 guitars full of alcohol may cause severe headaches and blood-vessel-in-face bursting vomiting.
- For one hour Saturday night, most of the neon signs in Vegas were turned off in honor of Earth Hour. During that hour, there was a guy on Fremont Street with a microphone that played over all the speakers on the street talking about Earth Hour. In a moment of spontaneity, I commandeered his microphone and sang a heartfelt, a capella version of the classic Righteous Brothers song: "You've Lost That Loving Feeling".
- I ate well all weekend.
- I walked 3-4 miles Friday, and another 4-5 Saturday.
- I haven't weighed myself recently, as I've been not exercising at all prior to a couple block-long walks I went on Tuesday and Wednesday of last week. However, after all the Vegas walking I could tell by Sunday (from my face, and the way I was feeling) that I must have lost 15-20 pounds.