Thursday, June 4, 2009

ADDICTION: Part 3 - In Which I Lose Interest In Further Discussing Addiction


So, in this, the last of what I had hoped would be a beneficial 3 part series looking at addiction and it's role in my life, I no longer really have anything to say about it. Meh, oh well. The first 2 parts were beneficial.
Okay, actually, one last thing:

I know I have to get into twelve step and get a sponsor, and I love the fact that, though it's a cliche, it really actually will completely work if I work it. That is Justice: Acting in accordance truth.

So for now, I think I'll just check-in with how I'm feeling:

I'm feeling happy. I feel happy because I got a new client today at work, and even though my companies services are as desired as ever, agencies are keeping a tighter than ever grasp on their purse strings, so today's new acquisition, though relatively small, feels really good.

I am uncomfortable. I am nervous. I am scared.

I don't feel good because I know that I have to get into recovery through twelve step, but I am hesitant for some reason. I know part of it is simply that I am really struggling in social situations, like anything outside of my house, at this point due to my weight.

I am excited. I am loving. I am peaceful. I am listening to great music.

Great music goes a long way.

Hmmm, well, there I am.

Good times.

And a post script to those wondering what book I wrote about in my last blog that was so important to me this last year: Atlas Shrugged.

Putting aside it's merits from a strictly writing stand-point, and focusing on it's philosophical viewpoints, I do have problems with it: it's characters are drawn very bluntly with too much black and white, and I disagree with some of the concepts of objectionism as relates to inter-personal relationships and their purpose and make-up, as well as it's view of compassion (true compassion, not mis-guided, mis-placed compassion).

However, as it stands, it is still my favorite book of all time. Despite it's flaws, the book got me closer to the basic truths of life then any other I've ever read, and, interestingly, for a book written by an extremely devout Atheist and heavily imbued with that Atheist view point, Atlas Shrugged, through opening my eyes to some fundamental truths, actually paved the way for a wide variety of ideals and values I eventually embraced, including finding faith in God.

11 comments:

  1. Hang in there. Keep on blogging so we can keep supporting you in this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hated Atlas Shrugged, though I loved Fountainhead. If I remember correctly, both the long speeches and the cold libertarianism or whatever her philosophy (I am atheist too) irritated me.

    I am killing off my addictons one by one, but none are as severe as alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not an atheist but I love reading Ayn Rand.

    " The hardest thing to explain is the obvious, which everybody had decided not to see. "

    " Individual rights are the means of subordinating society to moral law. "

    cheers






    Ayn Rand

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good music and good reading. A really good post. Thanks for all that you share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm currently about 1/3 of the way through Atlas Shrugged, and am enjoying it immensely. My favorite part so far has been the analysis by Francisco D'Anconia on the meaning of money (i.e. in the response to Bertram Scudder that "money is the root of all evil.") We're on vacation and I've been reading select passages it out loud to my husband while he is driving.

    Like you, I'm a bit uncomfortable that complete emotional detachment is portrayed as a positive thing when it comes to interpersonal relationships. But on the whole, I'm enjoying the book. Next on my reading list is The Fountainhead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will work if you work it. You know your powerless. That's the 1st step. Now just work it thru.

    Never read Atlas Shrugged, but I have read the Big Book of AA. That book changed my life.

    Good luck....do get a sponsor....

    ReplyDelete
  7. How are you? I'm hoping you post soon, it sounds like you're going through a rough patch. Hope you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, how are you. I can't wait for your next post. Dude, you have some great insights - you might as well share them.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Atlas Shrugged is my absolute favorite book of all time. I haven't read it in a few years but I think I'm going to have to reread it soon. Ayn Rand was so far ahead of her time. It seems so right considering what is going on with the economy these days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ehy how are ya where are ya, you havent blog since i began following you,,, i want more from you ,, ms jazz, stay blessed

    ReplyDelete
  11. HEY!!!
    I haven't been around in so long but I've thought of you often. Tony wondered where you are and I linked here thru him.
    Please keep blogging!!!
    Your posts always got me to thinking and you gave such wonderful support to everyone.
    Come back!!!

    ReplyDelete