Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Wade in the Water




Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A-Changin'
Found at skreemr.com


"Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'."
-Bob Dylan "The Times They Are A-Changin'"

Internally, I know the times, for me, are changing.

I can feel the tides of change rising again within me.

Now I'm, once again, at an early stage in working on this, but I am working. I am, if you will, doing more than hopelessly watching the waters rise around me.

I'm starting to embrace that the waters of change are rising because I'm causing them to, and the more effort I put into what I want in this life, the higher those waters get, which means I then have to put more energy into not drowning.

And so on.

It's a very tenuous, but impressive cycle.

A cycle that I know only allows me to thrive if I put the work in on every key part of it.

If I work to change, but do not work to keep afloat in the sea of forward momentum I'm creating, then I'll start to slowly sink back.

And so on.

Today was not the best day; there were big mistakes.

But, there were little successes, and I know that filling up my life with those is the key to the big ones following suit.

So, food:

Breakfast:
Two cups fat-free milk

Lunch:
One can chicken
Six tablespoons mayo
Six pieces of bread
Half cup parm cheese
Quarter cup honey roasted peanuts

Snack:
Two packages of ramen noodles

Dinner:
Three chicken burritos
One piece of bread
Two tablespoons chipotle mayo

Exercise;
I did 33 wall push-ups before work this morning.

I'm again starting to take those little extra steps; again beginning to feel a bit more in the moment; once again purposefully choosing to do things right the first time. More and more, and so-on, and so-forth.

For me, a week of eating right or exercising is great, but without those little things that are crucial to long-term, sustainable change, they're not enough.

Lets not kid ourselves...the waters of change are ebbing and flowing for all of us, all of the time. It's just that sometimes those rising waters represent the negative movement and momentum we're creating and engaging cyclically, action-by-action, day-by-day.

But sometimes - sometimes those waters we feel swell around us can be our strength and our growth. And it's up to you to harness that power, and, well...

...Then you better start swimmin'

Or you'll sink like a stone

For the times they are a-changin'.

15 comments:

  1. I find that if I overthink this, I manage to quickly talk myself into things that I ought not to talk myself into. If, however, I just do it without thinking about it too much, I fare much better. I dunno, maybe it's the other way around for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you for posting about today. It is so easy to not face where we are at. You are making wonderful changes in your life. You've been working at it a long time. I'm living proof that the small changes we make accumulate and result in major transformations.

    I was thinking today about how I used to eat. In the last two years, I have completely changed what and how I eat. My relationship with food now really is different than what it always was. If you would have told me two years ago that I would no longer be eating the things I loved, I would have gotten really upset at the thought. I could have never imagined being able to do it.

    I believe that someday you'll look back and see how much you have changed because of the hard work you have done and from the, seemingly small, changes you have made.

    Every great river is made up of tiny droplets of water. Every small thing you do for your own betterment affects the whole. Just as those tiny droplets add up to create that river, every small change and bit of work you do will add up to a new and better you.

    I hope I made sense... Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm chering for you, glad to see you posting again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it's been awhile, but I wanted to let you know that I was doing wall push ups yesterday and I thought of you. I hope you're doing well!

    <3 Jenn (Ex Hot Girl)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pulling for you 100%. I want you to succeed and transform you mind, body, and soul---I want you to taste this freedom and dive right in...You're headed here---and I'm cheering you on all the way.

    My best to you always,
    ---and I love your writing style.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baby steps...slow and steady wins the race. You will get there. And you continue to inspire me with your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wanted to check-in and wish you well. I hope you are doing good this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey where are you?
    are you ok?
    did x-mas f8ck you over, like anyone else?
    hope you're alright...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with Jules - Where are YOU? Are YOU okay? Please post soon or let us know you are okay please.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey brother, I hope you are doing okay. Please remember that you've got a friend in me who believes in you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. was wanting to pop in and say Hi, hope you're doing well...

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's the little successes that matter the most!

    All the best in your journey in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are here for you! Thinking about you and hoping you are doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful blog! Enjoy your positive changes.

    ReplyDelete