Sunday, July 19, 2009

Start Me Up


The other day I was reading WHO ATE MY BLOG? It's written by a gentleman named Stephen from Alabama who started his weight loss journey in the same neck of the woods (600 lbs +) as myself. Well, since I've come back to reading blogs again I have been stoked to discover he has been kicking it hard the last few months and is now safely below 600, and well on his way to Talladega (read his blog to learn about that cool challenge).

Anyway, as I've been getting back into the blogging world, I've been reading his often for inspiration. The other day I was reading Stephen's blog and was looking over his great list of Goals and Milestones: on the list was walking a 5K.

Now, I haven't exercised much at all in the last three months, and I have not gone for a walk once. So, as I thinking about the 5k goal, I figured I ought to get back out there and walk. Walking has always been one of my favorite exercises and the one I've had the most success with.

So, last night I decided to go for a walk. I've gotten so big and haven't walked for so long I wasn't sure how far I could go - I really had no idea. I thought a couple of blocks would likely be all.

Well, I walked 1.3 miles (I drove the route afterwards to gauge the length with my odometer). And though in some respects I feel weird at how good it felt, and still feels, to have walked that far, I don't care. It's great! When I lost almost 200 pounds a few years ago, I got up to walking 10 miles at a time, and I know I can get back to that eventually. But honestly, I've got to start somewhere, and as heavy as I am, and as out of shape as I am, 1.3 miles feels fantastic.

Thanks to Stephen for the motivation and inspiration - and thanks to all of you in blog land as well. I haven't gotten back to the frequent commenting yet, but I am reading.

I've had a great few weeks. Some of the best I've ever had. And best of all, it's not just exercise or eating right that is the reason: it's everything, it's all encompassing. After years of knowing I needed to take a "holistic" type approach to self improvement - I am now truly doing it, and it is excellent.

7 comments:

  1. It feels great getting that walk in every day. I notice a big difference when I walk. I get a boost.

    I am happy that you were motivated by my blog. It brings joy to my heart to see that I can help others in the same boat as me. It's tough, but we'll get through it. Thank you. You have motivated me to keep up my work. I recently encountered some road blocks, but I will break through.

    I will be keeping up with your blog.

    I hope you have a great week.

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to hear you've found your stride again, in all meanings of the word!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a deeply intellectual gentleman, and I love the design of your blog. You are sensitive, observant, and a great writer.
    You have inspired me to "get my walk on," too!
    Really good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a coincidence - I have a weight loss business in Brisbane, Australia called Start Me Up! Maybe I can share some tips with you?

    SMU Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done - 1.3 is great after not doing any for ages - I could only do a half when I started out!

    I can recommend another blog you might like:

    http://losingweighteveryday.blogspot.com/

    It is by Sean Anderson and he has a fabulous story (reading back is really worth it - it took me a few days, but I read from beginning to date). He is still on his journey, but has done fantastically so far - and the pictures are amazing!

    Keep up the good work - the exercise makes all the difference, I can tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are truly an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete